Explore contemporary British life and culture
This course teaches you about contemporary British life and culture, exploring topics such as the arts, media, politics, and history. It also gives you practical ideas for introducing culture into your classroom and promoting intercultural awareness among your students. You will improve your awareness of the differences between your own culture and those of your peers. This course develops English language competencies by exploring subjects like language change, new English words, humour and contemporary British slang.
On this course, you will:
- A broader understanding of different aspects of contemporary British culture
- A deeper understanding of British culture, moving beyond stereotypes and traditions
- A greater intercultural awareness, including social, linguistic and cultural diversity
- Practical ideas for helping students compare their own culture with new cultures
- Improved language competencies and greater confidence in your own English
- A greater appreciation of the link between culture and language and the ability to share this with your students
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for teachers who want to develop a deeper awareness of contemporary British culture, and to help their students have a better understanding of cultural differences and to teach English through cultural topics. It is also perfect for teachers wanting to expand their range of expression and update their use of contemporary English.
Each course we run is tailored by our expert tutors to the professional needs and priorities of the participants so content may be adapted to best suit the needs of your group.
- British Education, media and institutions
- Family life, youth culture and multicultural Britain
- Eccentric Britain and humour
- The city of Cambridge, the historic university and its life
- The arts, including a visit to some Cambridge museums
- Pubs – a look at everyday life
- From Reggae to Radiohead – the contemporary music scene
- The changing language and teaching culture
- Cross cultural awareness in the classroom
- Exploiting materials to teach culture
17 July - 28 July 2023
14 July - 27 July 2024
28 July - 10 August 2024
17 July - 28 July 2023